Contributed by Rabbi Joshua Aaronson of Temple Judaea in Tarzana, California
1. Do not “chow down” at your evening meal. This actually makes you hungrier!
2. Stay at synagogue all day! It’s actually easier to fast when you’re busy and there’s no better way to be busy on Yom Kippur than by staying at shul … be an usher, help with services—the time will fly by.
3. Read the section of Leviticus on sacrifices. There’s a bunch in the first few chapters. A real appetite killer!
4. Do not spend the day anywhere near the smell of good food.
5. Happy the Dodgers seem to have the edge over the Giants? Know the worst pennant race collapse in MLB history? The 1951 Dodgers held a 13.5-game lead over the Giants and blew it with “the shot heard ‘round the world.” Keep thinkin’ about that … it’ll ruin anyone’s appetite!